Job Title: Staff Accountant
Department: Finance and Accounting
Reports To: Controller
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Assist in all areas of Finance and Accounting.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Serve as backup to the Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable Specialist and assist with Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable as needed.
· Serve as backup to the Payroll Clerk and assist with Payroll as needed.
· Submit Federal and State payroll tax deposits and prepare quarterly payroll tax returns.
· Compute use tax and prepare quarterly use tax returns.
· Reconcile General Ledger accounts as assigned.
· Create journal entries with supporting documentation and submit for approval.
· Assist the Controller with month-end close activities.
· Provide detail to external auditors.
· Assist in creating and maintaining spreadsheets, reports, monthly binders/folders, and key performance indicators/dashboards.
· Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Analytical: Synthesize complex information.
· Problem Solving: Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; gather and analyze information skillfully.
· People Skills: Focus on solving conflict, not blaming; maintain confidentiality.
· Oral communication: Speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
· Written Communication: Writes clearly and informatively; edit work for spelling and grammar; present numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
· Teamwork: Contribute to building a positive team spirit; support everyone’s efforts to succeed.
· Business Acumen: Understand business implications of decisions; display orientation to profitability.
· Cost Consciousness: Work within approved budget; contribute to profits and revenue
· Ethics: Treat people with respect; inspire the trust of others; work with integrity and ethics; uphold organizational values.
· Organizational Support: Follow policies and procedures; support organization’s goals and values.
· Judgment: Display willingness to make decisions; exhibit sound and accurate judgement; support and explain reasoning for decisions; include appropriate people in decision making process; make timely decisions.
· Planning/Organizing: Prioritize and plan work activities.
· Professionalism: Approach others in a tactful manner; react well under pressure; treat others with respect and consideration regardless of status or position; accept responsibility for own actions; follow through on commitments.
· Quality: Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness; look for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors work to ensure quality.
· Adaptability: able to deal with frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events.
· Attendance/Punctuality: Consistently at work and on time.
· Dependability: Follow instructions, respond to management direction; take responsibility for own actions; complete tasks on time or notify appropriate person with an alternate plan.
· Confidentiality: Employee must demonstrate history of confidential behavior due to the specific job duties.
· To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
Educations and Experience:
· Bachelors or Associates Degree in accounting required and two to five years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret document such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write and speak effectively.
· Mathematical Skills: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, and percentages.
· Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge or be able to learn the ERP software and intermediate level knowledge of Excel and Word Processing software.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.